Catholicradical: Where Catholic thought is combined with Catholic Action

Quotes from Catholic philosophical and theological leaders from the past and present. Your comments are encouraged!!!

Name:
Location: Charleston, South Carolina, United States

Tuesday, July 12, 2005

Persecution

Love, love, love one another! Be glad, be jubilant! Summertime is coming!... God...showed his marvels in such a way that my soul seemed to be outside my body and was so overwhelmed with joy that I can't really describe it in words. He told and explained bit by bit the mystery of the persecution holy Church is now enduring, and of the renewal and exaltation to come. He said that what is happening now is being permitted to restore her to her original condition. First Truth cited a few words from the holy Gospel: "It is inevitable that scandal should come into the world, but woe to the one by whom the scandal comes!" It was as if he were saying, "I am permitting this time of persecution in order to uproot the thorns from my bride, for she is all hedged in with thorns. But people have no permission from me for their evil plottings. Do you know what I am doing? I am doing as I did when I was in the world, when I made the whip of cords and drove out those who were selling and buying in the temple, since I didn't want my Father's house to be made a robbers' den. In the same way, I tell you, I've made a whip now of certain people, and with that whip I am driving out the filthy, greedy, avaricious dealers bloated with pride, who are selling and buying the graces and gifts of the Holy Spirit." So with the whip of human persecution he was driving them out -- I mean he was using suffering and persecution to free them from their shameful disordered way of living.
--St. Catherine of Siena--

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home